This set of macroeconomics course materials prepares students to apply economic thinking and analysis in the context of national economies, monetary and fiscal policy, and variables and indicators of macroeconomic health. Students will learn about the key macroeconomic indicators of GDP, unemployment, and inflation, then how to apply these concepts to analyze economic policy and behavior. Content coverage includes choice and scarcity; supply and demand; elasticity; applications of supply and demand; elasticity; GDP and economic growth; unemployment and inflation; the aggregate demand-aggregate supply model; Keynesian economics and neoclassical economics; the income-expenditure model; fiscal policy; money and banking; monetary policy; policy applications; globalization and trade; exchange rates and international finance.
To provide a rich, engaging learning experience, course materials include not only complete content, but also well-aligned assignments and quizzes, online problem sets, interactive learning activities, and more.
This course is based on OpenStax Principles of Economics, enriched with additional significant contributions by the Lumen Learning team and subject matter experts including Steven Greenlaw, Clark Aldrich, Jennifer Pakula, Veronika Dolar, Michael Fusillo, Sophie Haci, Shawn Kilpatrick, and Melissa Walker.
Based on student learning data and faculty feedback, we have made improvements to address these difficult topics, as well as general improvements to the course as a whole:
- Improved course organization
- Try It embedded practice questions
- “Learn By Doing” pages for even more practice
- “Watch It” embedded videos that explain and reiterate key concepts throughout the course
- Interactives that explain complicated graphs in a step-by-step process
- Discussions and assignments for every module
- Problem Sets for every module
For more information on these improvements, please visit the About this Course page.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science to engage students and better support the learning process. Lumen materials aim to deliver an active learning experience. They include text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, simulations, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge, improve their understanding, and perform better. Term over term, Lumen’s Waymaker courseware makes it possible to use learning data to identify where content improvements are needed. We work collaboratively with faculty and subject matter experts to develop and test iterative, continuous improvements aimed at increasing efficacy and learning.
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Waymaker Courseware: User-friendly Waymaker learning tools improve success for at-risk students with personalized study plans, automated study tips and nudges, and early alerts to identify and help struggling students.
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates the best available open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach it as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course is delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Learn by doing: Self-checks, online homework, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Waymaker’s real-time feedback and nudges guide students on where to focus and how to improve.